Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 5, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 21:22-23:13; Matthew 24:1-28; Psalm 29:1-11; Proverbs 7:6-23.

Observation

If you are going to defend yourself against a thief, do it before sunrise – especially if you kill him! Wow! I never noticed that verse before.

And, the first verse (that I’m aware of) in Scripture regarding peer pressure:

“Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. …Do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd.” Exodus 23:2

Matthew 24:12 sounds like the times in which we now live:

“Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.” That really hits me. It doesn’t say, “the love of some,” but rather, “the love of most!” That’s dishearten-ing.

Matthew 24:22 sounds like a mid-tribulation reference to me:

“If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.”

Finally, Psalm 29:11 is beautiful:

“The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace.”

Application

I don’t want to follow the crowd. I don’t want to do things simply because it’s the popular or accepted thing to do. God, please help me to stand strong for justice and for truth.

I am interested by the connection between an increase in wickedness and people’s love growing cold. This makes sense. Lord, please guard me against sin and keep my love pure and genuine.

Prayer

“Lord, I long for the strength and peace that only You can give. Continue to fill me with Yourself so that I might have an abundance to pour into the lives of others.”

2 Comments:

At February 6, 2008 at 5:59 AM , Blogger jndilbeck said...

Pastor Bob,
Because I was in Jeremiah, I have been substituting readings there for the Genesis reading. This morning, Chapter 48 was about woes pronounced on Moab. The Matthew 24 references to coming judgment left me feeling how little time we spend on our knees confessing our sin as a nation. Let us pray that during this election season we see ourselves submitting to God's way in all our decisions.
Joe

 
At February 6, 2008 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Good wisdom. For a moment yesterday, I found myself considering to vote for the best candidate out of those "considered" most likely to win, rather than the candidate which I felt would do the best job and honor God - regardless of their perceived chances of winning.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home