Monday, February 4, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 4, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 19:16-21:21; Matthew 23:13-39; Psalm 28:1-9; Proverbs 7:1-5.

Observation

All I can say is that I am glad that we do not still live by the letter of the Law. But, I must admit that I liked two of the Laws:

“Anyone who attacks his father or his mother must be put to death.”

And, I think that “verbally” should fall under the definition of “attack” as well. And,

“Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.”

Jesus’ words to the Pharisees are strong and convicting:

“Woe to you, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.”

And later,

“You have neglected the more important matters of the law – justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced these without neglecting the former.”

And what heart-breaking words in Matthew 23:37,

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing.” Wow!

Application

I sincerely hope that I don’t keep people from the Kingdom because of my actions or hypocrisy. What a wake-up call to live a life of integrity and purity!

I also need to be fully obedient with respect to all of God’s commands while not neglecting justice, mercy and faithfulness in the process.

Prayer

“Lord, I echo David’s prayer in Psalm 28:9, ‘Save Your people and bless Your inheritance; be our shepherd and carry us forever!’ That’s the only appropriate response I can think of to a God who ‘longs to gather His children together.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home