Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 29, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 7:25-9:35; Matthew 19:13-30; Psalm 24:1-10; Proverbs 6:1-5.

Observation

I have always been intrigued by the fact that Pharaoh’s magicians displayed their powers by copying the plagues which God created through Moses. Something is wrong with this picture! If you’re Pharaoh wouldn’t you want relief from the judgment rather than more of the same? I would have said, “Show me your power by delivering us from this annoyance!” But, in the end, only God had that power.

It is surprising as well that when Moses asks Pharaoh when he wants God to stop the pain, Pharaoh says, “Tomorrow.” What a picture of rebelliousness. This scenario sounds a lot like us and our tolerance of sin. God says to us, “Have you had enough hurt and pain and misery? Are you ready to surrender and give it up?” And, we respond, “Yes, I’m sick of it. But, I’m not ready for change. Maybe tomorrow!” Wow!

I love God’s response to Pharaoh at the end, “…this time I will send the full force of my plagues against you… so that you will know that there is no one like me in all the earth. For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the earth.”

Jesus’ words in Matthew 19:26 are something I need to continually remember: “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!”

Application

I desire to get to a point where I just don’t tolerate sin in my life. Tomorrow is too late. I need to act today! I’m reminded of Hebrews 3:7, “Today if you hear His voice…” And, “so encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called ‘today’ lest any one of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.” (Hebrews 3:13)

I also need to stop quenching the Spirit and quit putting God in a box (as if that were possible!) and believe and act like He is the God who makes the impossible possible.

Prayer

“Lord, increase my faith in You. Decrease my tolerance and enjoyment of sin. And, help me to hear and act upon Your voice today.”

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2008 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Karen Parker Anderson said...

Being reminded of (my) vanity (Psalms 24: 3-4 KJV), helps me focus on Grace; that which is enduring, as opposed to that which is - necessarily - transient.

 
At January 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Grace has a way of keeping everything in perspective and of helping us redefine what's important and what's not.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home