Monday, January 21, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 21, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Genesis 42:18-43:34; Matthew 13:47-14:12; Psalm 18:16-36; Proverbs 4:7-10.

Observation

I love the story of Joseph. The tension and drama in the text gets me every time. I like what Joseph’s steward says to the brothers, “Don’t be afraid. Your God, the God of your father, has given you treasure in your sacks.”

Matthew’s comment in 13:58 convicts me and challenges me,

“And He did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.”

The story of John the Baptist strikes me as very sad. What a humble servant of God who constantly pointed the attention toward Jesus – saying things like “I must decrease; He must increase,” and “I am unworthy even to unlatch the tie of His sandals.” You would like to think that if you give your life to the Lord in faithful, humble service that there is some sort of protection that comes along with that. But, tragically his life ends with his head displayed on a platter because King Herod is enamored with some young, cute little airhead.

I loved the following portions of the Psalms:

“He brought me out into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me.” (What a concept that God delights in me! That blows my mind.)

“You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.”

“As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of the Lord is flawless.” (Makes me think of the Word in our study of John)

And finally, “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.”

Application

May I not lack in faith. I want to see your miracles Lord. I feel like the man who said, “I believe. Help my unbelief!” I also need to understand that many times service to the Lord comes without honor and appreciation – especially from those closest to one’s ministry.

Prayer

“God, please build in me a consistent faith and trust. May I never doubt that ‘Your way is perfect and Your Word is flawless.’ I pray that you would ‘arm me with strength and make my way perfect’ according to your promise.”

3 Comments:

At January 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

And in Psalm 18 I love that he is so far above us but will "reach down" vs 18, and "stoop down" vs 35to care for us. Thanks for the blog.

 
At January 23, 2008 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Karen Parker Anderson said...

With regard to the commentary concerning John the Baptist, what comes to mind for me is that, as Christians, although we may not always be comfortable (have comforts), we always have Comfort (Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you...John 14.27 (KJV)): the Kingdom of God, right here, right now, not just imminent, but immanent!

 
At January 24, 2008 at 5:52 AM , Blogger Karen Parker Anderson said...

(Revised) With regard to the commentary concerning John the Baptist, what comes to mind for me is that, as Christians, although we may not always be comfortable (have comforts), we always have Comfort (Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you... John 14:27 (KJV); the Kingdom of God, right here, right now, not just imminent, but immanent!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home