Saturday, January 19, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 19, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Genesis 39:1-41:16; Matthew 12:46-13:23; Psalm 17:1-15; Proverbs 3:33-35.

Observation

I love Joseph. I think he’s my favorite OT character. He’s the man - godly, good looking, and God blesses everything he does! In all of Joseph’s misfortune there is a recurring theme: “The Lord was with Joseph and he prospered…the Lord gave him success in everything he did.” God is with Joseph and prospers him after he is sold into slavery, falsely accused, thrown into jail,.. And, I love what he says to Potiphar’s wife: not “how could I do such a wicked thing and sin against your husband,” but “how could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God.” Joseph knew well that sin is first and foremost against God. King David affirms this in Psalm 51:4, “Against You, and You only, have I sinned, and done what is evil in Your sight,..” And, the text says that Potiphar’s wife tempted Joseph “day after day!” Joseph showed himself to be wise, not just in refusing to sleep with her, but also in refusing to “even be with her.”
How hard it must have been for Joseph to feel forgotten for two full years (Gen. 41:1) by those whom he had helped and even by God! What humility he shows when he’s finally released: “I cannot do it, but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”

Finally, I love Psalm 17:3b, “I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.” That’s some resolution!

Also, Psalm 17:15, “In righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness!” Wow! What can you add to that! All comments pale!


Application

I desire to be a man of God – to not only reject sin but also to keep myself away from opportunities to sin. I need to trust God to fulfill His work & promises in me despite circumstances which might suggest that He has forgotten about me or given up on me.

Prayer

“God, may I trust You explicitly. May I draw my confidence from Your Word and Your promises – not from circumstances or popular opinion. May I live trusting that “He who began a good work in me will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”

1 Comments:

At January 19, 2008 at 5:36 PM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

Boy to be so aware of our personal weaknesses and areas temptation that we purposely stay away from an opportunity to sin against the one we love the most!

Congratulations blogger!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home