Friday, January 25, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
January 25, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Genesis 50:1-Exodus 2:10; Matthew 16:13-17:9; Psalm 21:1-13; Proverbs 5:1-6.

Observation

What a tender scene as Joseph mourns the loss of his father Jacob. And, what a period of embalming and mourning: 117 days in all! That’s like 1/3 of a year!

I love Joseph’s graciousness with his brothers. Once again he has a firm grasp of the sovereignty of God, and a truly forgiving heart:

“Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives!”

I think Moses had a wise mother. And, how cool that she got paid to nurse her own son.

Peter is a good example of how in one moment we can say something great, truly inspired by God. And, in the next moment say something fleshly, inspired by the devil! We need to quit while we’re ahead.

Jesus’ words in Matthew are powerful, “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in exchange for his soul?”
These words remind me of Jim Elliott’s words, “He is no fool who gives what he can’t keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

It’s interesting to note that John (the author of the Gospel of John) is one of the three who witnesses Jesus’ transfiguration.

Application

I want to work on being a consistently forgiving person. I need to also continually remember what is eternal and what is temporal – and adjust my priorities accordingly.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to see Your glory in my life and the lives of others. May I not miss out on the mighty things which You are doing.”

1 Comments:

At January 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

It strikes me that Jesus comes through the line of Judah...the brother that sold Joseph into slavery. Of course he could have chosen a heritage without such public dirty laundry for his perfect son, but he chose a family like any of ours! Is there no end to God's forgiveness? Praise Him!

It is also interesting how the new pharoah who may have been unfamiliar with Joseph and his family reacted. Fear of something/someone he might not be able to control. That can sure be a tempting reaction for me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home