Friday, February 1, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 1, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 13:17-15:18; Matthew 21:23-46; Psalm 26:1-12; Proverbs 6:16-19.

Observation

What an amazing experience to be led & protected by a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. And, what a terrifying sight to see the Egyptians coming after you in full force. But, despite all of his faults, Moses gets it right this time when he says,

“Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. …The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

What a powerful east wind to open the sea and dry the land! It must have been an eerie experience with the darkness and the wind howling and the enemy close behind as well as huge walls of water on either side.

The last thing that grabs me from Exodus is the closing comment recorded in 14:30-31,

“That day the Lord saved Israel from the hands of the Egyptians,.. And when the Israelites saw the great power the Lord displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared the Lord and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant.”

Sadly, what the text leaves out is: “For a day!” How often God does something amazing in our life and we trust Him for a day. Our hope and confidence in His sovereign power is renewed – for a day!

The following NT passages jumped out at me:

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.” Matthew 21:31

“Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.” Matthew 21:43

Three things in Proverbs convicted me (things which the text says that the Lord hates and are detestable to Him):

“A lying tongue; feet that are quick to rush into evil; and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.”

Application

May I trust the Lord everyday and not just in times of blessing or success. I need to stand firm and be still more to witness God’s victory. Too often my eyes are focused on the problem, the trial, the crisis – and not upon the Lord who is my deliverance.

May my response to God’s Word be repentance and belief. Also, I need to ask myself more often, “Am I producing the fruit of the kingdom or the fruit of the flesh?”

Prayer

“God, May I not be quick to run toward evil, may I not spread dissension or lies, and may I allow Your Word to transform me – daily.”

2 Comments:

At February 1, 2008 at 11:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

Psalm 118:8

 
At February 3, 2008 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

I love in Ex 13:17 God knows his people well enough to know they would change their minds and turn back if he sent them through the shortest route. He knows us so well and personalizes our journey for our own good and growth!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home