Saturday, February 2, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 2, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 15:19-17:7; Matthew 22:1-33; Psalm 27:1-6; Proverbs 6:20-26.

Observation

Moses hit the nail on the head when he told the people that their complaint was not ultimately against him and the leaders but against God, “You are not grumbling against us, but against the Lord.” If we understood this principle/reality I think we would complain a whole lot less!

I’m always fascinated by the parable of the king and the wedding banquet. Who wouldn’t respond and come to a king’s banquet? So, the story says that the servants “went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, both good and bad, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.” Those who were improperly clothed were the ones who refused to dress themselves in the king’s righteousness. The offer and invitation is extended to everyone but it is not without responsibility.

Jesus’ charge against the Sadducees is right on target: “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.” The Sadducees were asking a question relating to the resurrection and they did not even believe in a resurrection!

I love Psalm 27:4,

“One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple.”

Application

I need to realize and understand that all of my complaining and grumbling from time to time is ultimately against God who has sovereign power over my situation and life circumstances.

I want to hide God’s Word in my heart and life that I might not be in error or deceived by sin.

I don’t think I look forward to gazing upon God’s beauty or living with Him in His house as much as I should.

Prayer

“God, Proverbs says that Your commands are a lamp, Your teaching a light, and the corrections of Your discipline are the way to life. Help me to live a life of obedience. Guard me and guide me according to Your Word.”

2 Comments:

At February 3, 2008 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

Can't we just settle this?
The Israelites' faith depended on the moment's circumstances and their "miracle memory" sure seemed short. I wonder if God doesn't sometimes look at our doubting hearts and say "Today's trials are causing you to forget and want to give up? My children, my son demonstrated my love and my word reveals it. The cross was intended to settle this once and for all! I love you and want what's best. Now can we move on?"
Can we just settle the faith issue once and for all? With confidence in the powerful, loving God of all time, live a life of faith not fear? Respond to his voice and move even when it appears it is against all odds? Be used by Him without hesitation even when there may be great sacrifice?

 
At February 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Preach it sister! We know in our heads what is right and true, we just lose something along the way of translation into action. Call it immaturity, narcissism, or short memories - or all of the above! I think you're saying exactly what the author of Hebrews said in chapter 6: "Can we get on with it? And, stop wallowing in superficiality and spiritual immaturity?

The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home