Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 23, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 14:1-57; Mark 6:30-56; Psalm 40:1-10; Proverbs 10:11-12.

Observation

If we can make it through the book of Leviticus we can make it through any book of the Bible! “Left hand, right hand, big toe, right forefinger, right earlobe…” I would have been offering sacrifices to cover my forgetfulness in fulfilling the laws to the letter.

I love it when Jesus says to His disciples, “Come with Me by your selves to a quiet place and get some rest.” (Mark 6:31) I don’t know if the disciples ever got a chance to eat or rest before the crowds descended upon them again, but Jesus feels compassion for the people and tells the disciples to take ownership and feed them. Matthew doesn’t include this verse in Mark 6:31 and so it just sounds like the disciples are trying to chase the crowds away. But, they had good reason. Also, Matthew tells us that this event occurred right after the death of John the Baptist. How amazing that Jesus attended to the needs of the disciples and the people even though He was grieving.

But, what a sad statement at the end of the feeding of the 5,000:

“The disciples were completely amazed for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.” (Mark 6:52)

Application

I hope that I learn from God’s work in my life. I want to be able to give of myself as Jesus gave of Himself. As Jesus modeled alone time with God, I need to continually take time to be in prayer and in God’s Word. What a perspective Jesus had to see needy, self-centered people as “sheep without a shepherd.” The only way that I will ever be like that is for God to give me His heart.

Prayer

“Lord, would You give me Your eyes to see others as You see them. Would You give me Your heart to love others as You love them? Help me to draw strength from You and not rely upon my own limited resources. Help me to take time to seek You and find You in quiet, solitary places.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home