Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 20, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 9:7-10:20; Mark 4:26-5:20; Psalm 37:30-40; Proverbs 10:6-7.

Observation

The experience of Aaron’s sons dying is tragic. Exodus 10:3 describes a posture in approaching God that I believe I/we have lost as NT Christians:

“Among those who approach Me I will show myself holy; in the sight of all the people I will be honored.”

It’s amazing to me that the disciples could be with Jesus and yet miss the reality of who He was/is. I guess we do the same thing. But, when Jesus calms the storm and they ask, “Who is this that even the wind and the waves obey Him?” Jesus’ response is convicting: “Do you still have no faith?”

The demon possessed man from Gerasene is an interesting story. Jesus asks him his name and he responds, “Legion, for we are many.” A Roman legion was made up of 6,000 soldiers! I don’t know if this man had 6,000 demons in him, but however many he had – he was in extreme bondage. It’s interesting also that Jesus tells the man to spread his testimony – quite the opposite of the majority of passages where Jesus says don’t tell anyone. Perhaps it was because the people asked Jesus to leave their region (and the NT never mentions Him in this region again), and Jesus left this man as His representative.

I like Psalm 37:37b, “There is a future for the man of peace.”

Application

I need to be careful to not be so grace-oriented that I lose sight of the fact that God is holy and I am to approach Him with reverence. I am convicted that my faith is shallow and weak after all that God has done in my life and the life of my family. I would like to grow in trust.

Prayer

“Lord, I pray the words of the famous hymn: ‘May I trust in You, may I take you at Your Word, may I rest upon Your promise, and would You please grant me faith to trust You more.”

3 Comments:

At February 20, 2008 at 10:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you mean by this?

"I need to be careful to not be so grace-oriented that I lose sight of the fact that God is holy and I am to approach Him with reverence."

 
At February 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Sometimes I can develop such a grace-saturated mentality and theology that I lose sight of the balance between the Abba Father of Romans 8 who bids me to sit in His lap, and the awesome holiness of Yahweh God that sent Isaiah face-first to the ground in Isaiah 6. God is my friend and my loving Father, but He is also the Lord of the Universe and all too often I reduce Him to my level.

C. S. Lewis described this dual nature so well in the Chronicles of Narnia. The children ask the beaver about Aslan the lion (God): "Is He safe?" The beaver responds, "Oh my, no! He's a ferocious, terrifying lion! But, He's good!"

Sometimes in my grace-oriented mentality I have a tendency to domesticate God into a house cat. And, He's not! He's a powerful, fierce, 500 pound lion! But, He's good!

 
At February 23, 2008 at 11:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were Isaiah, I would have had a nervous breakdown. Perhaps that's why God gives me kittens to snuggle with instead of prophetic visions?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home