Friday, February 15, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 15, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 39:1-40:38; Mark 1:1-28; Psalm 35:1-16; Proverbs 9:11-12.

Observation

As I read the detail and instructions relating to the creation of all of the different elements for the Tent of Meeting I’m struck with the thought that this is further proof that the Bible is a divine record and not a human one. We would have never included stuff like this. We would have attempted to write in a way that appeared godly rather than with the simple authority which God inherently possesses.

I love in Exodus 40:35 that Moses was not even able to enter the Tent of Meeting because God’s glory had settled on it and filled it in such an overpowering manner!

Well, we’ve just begun the Gospel of Mark and already you know Mark’s favorite word: “immediately.” Mark uses the word 40 times in just 16 chapters, and 6 of those occurrences were in our 28 verse selection today.

Mark 1:13 strikes me as one of those verses we read right through and gloss-over without catching the full impact of what Jesus went through. 40 days in the wilderness being tempted by Satan, threatened by wild animals, enduring the elements… No wonder the angels were ministering to Him. Remember that the miracle of the incarnation and Jesus being fully God and fully man is that He never used His omnipotence to ease His human condition and experience. If He had He would have ceased to be fully human. Matthew 4:2 tells us that Jesus spent these 40 days and nights fasting as well. On top of the physical challenge, what a mind battle – dealing with Satan’s temptations, extreme hunger and wild animals! That’s why Hebrews 4:15 is able to claim that Jesus was “tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.”

Application

When I really stop and think about what Jesus went through and endured on my behalf it inspires me and motivates me to step-it-up. I have a tendency to think that because Jesus was/is God that things were somehow easier for Him. I’m convicted and challenged to live-out my Christian walk with greater intensity and passion.

Prayer

“Jesus, Thank you for loving me, for being obedient to the point of death. Lord, thank you for sending Your only Son to die for a world that didn’t deserve it. I’m humbled and encouraged by your amazing love.”

1 Comments:

At February 16, 2008 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Just a thought... said...

I spent last night catching up with the reading, but I was struck again by God's patience and forgiveness when it is Aaron's family that serve in the high position of priests in the tabernacle. Aaron, the one who created the golden calf and then tried to lie and say he just tossed some jewelry in the fire and poof, a calf appeared. Thank you Lord that you are so generous in your mercy and forgiveness!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home