Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 10, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Exodus 30:11-31:18; Matthew 26:47-68; Psalm 32:1-11; Proverbs 8:27-32.

Observation

God’s warnings to Aaron and his sons strike me as unusual and interesting: they needed to wash before entering the Tent of Meeting or approaching the altar or else they would die! If more restaurants posted signs and warnings like this in their restrooms I think it would be effective! But, seriously, this command shows the holiness of God and the purity that He requires when we approach Him. Thank the Lord that we approach Him today dressed in Christ’s righteousness and not our own.

Also, the command that no one copy the specific mixture of spices making-up the special perfume which God decreed to be associated with the priests and the priestly activities demonstrates God’s desire that everything holy and sacred be “set apart” and distinct.

I’m fascinated that the text says that God inscribed the tablets of stone entrusted to Moses with His finger! Wow!

The NT passage is one of tremendous sadness to me, but at the same time one which underscores Jesus’ amazing mercy and grace. How sad that Judas betrays Jesus with a kiss. That kiss must have been extremely hard to accept. And yet, Jesus greets him by saying, “Friend, do what you came for.” Jesus demonstrated love and self control infinitely beyond what I possess unless I allow Him to love through me and guide my actions.

And, what a sad note in the text when it says that “all the disciples deserted Him and fled.”

When Jesus said to the high priest, “In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven” this was something reserved for God alone. Only God did these things. And, so it was construed as blasphemy.

Finally, what an accurate and powerful description of guilt and forgiveness David gives in Psalm 32:

“When I kept silent, my bones wasted away …Your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped. …Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. …and You forgave the guilt of my sin.”

Application

I’m overwhelmed that Jesus loves me and extends mercy to me – even in the face of my betrayal, my unfaithfulness. I resolve to live for Him at all costs.

Prayer

“Lord, thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for continually offering me forgiveness and Your unconditional love. Please give me the power to live a life that is pleasing to You and which expresses appreciation and gratefulness through my actions.”

2 Comments:

At February 11, 2008 at 6:01 AM , Blogger jndilbeck said...

Bob,
The Wisdom of the Lord is evident in Jesus Christ. Moses stands arguing with God, and apparently changes God's mind about destroying Israel. Jesus stands before Pilate and says nothing. Isn't that a picture of our rebellion and refusal to accept God's judgment of our sin? Jesus is our example and our Savior. Oh that we could live like Him, in full acceptance of God's righteous judgment.
Joe

 
At February 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

That's a very good point and a good comparison. I had not thought of it in that way. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home