Monday, February 18, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 18, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 6:1-7:27; Mark 3:7-30; Psalm 37:1-11; Proverbs 10:3-4.

Observation

Well, we’ve been reading and journaling now for a little over a month! Have you noticed any benefits in your life and Christian walk? I know that I have.

I wondered today as I read the passage in Mark about the evil spirits falling down before Jesus and crying out, “You are the Son of God,” whether this was a visual manifestation or an audible one, or both. Something tangible happened (beyond the spirit world) for Mark to witness it and record it.

We read today about Jesus choosing the 12 disciples/apostles. Luke 6:12-13 adds to Mark’s account in telling us that prior to this “choosing” Jesus spent the night in prayer:

“And it was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. And when day came, He called His disciples to Him; and chose twelve of them, whom He also named apostles.”

I’ve never thought about it before, but think if you didn’t make the cut! I wonder how the disciples felt who did not make the top 12. We never hear about the “B” team!

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit in Mark 3:29, which is spoken of as an eternal sin which will never be forgiven is when someone takes the things of God, or the works of God, and attributes them to Satan. Similarly, I believe the unpardonable sin to be the sin of unbelief. God will forgive every sin except for the sin of refusing to acknowledge Jesus as Savior and Lord.

I love Psalm 37, and yet I often hear it quoted like the genie in the bottle passage: “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” I think we spend a lot more time thinking about the “desires of our heart” than we do about what it truly means to “delight” ourselves in the Lord. I suspect that if we truly delighted ourselves in God that we would find that our desires were more in line with His desires.

Application

I need to spend more time in prayer, not just over important decisions, but in general. I am guilty of seeing God as the Great Wish Fulfiller. I desire to grow in the knowledge of what it means to delight in my Savior.

Prayer

“God, would you teach me what it means to delight in You, to have my thoughts and focus wrapped-up in You rather than myself. Would you please speak to me during prayer? I desire to pray more, but I must confess that too many times it just feels like a one way conversation. Please help me to grow in my awareness of Your presence and my listening skills.”

2 Comments:

At February 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM , Blogger jndilbeck said...

Bob,
It doesn't seem like a month, but it does seem like a privilege. It starts my day off, I wake up looking forward to this time. I am convicted by the seriousness of sin, and even more by being choked by the worries of this life. You were right Sunday when you referred to seeing Jesus merely as a means to an end. Oh that we could love Him more, and our stuff less!
Joe

 
At February 19, 2008 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayer teach me to listen for God in different ways. Cuz God is closer to me than I am to myself. Knows me better than I know myself... a transparency that's pretty unnerving.

Sometimes hearing from God is the sound of my own thoughts accompanied by the warmth of the Holy Spirit confirming His word to my heart. Sometimes it's the hug of a child, frolicking with a puppy, or the comment of a stranger. I'd probably freak out if I got a burning bush.

A jewish mystic once said that "prayer is when heaven and earth kiss each other." Kinda mushy... but a nice sentiment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home