Monday, February 25, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 25, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 16:29-18:30; Mark 7:24-8:10; Psalm 41:1-13; Proverbs 10:15-16.

Observation

Today’s OT reading was an exhaustive lesson on sexual boundaries. God certainly left no question unanswered. God also kept warning the Israelites (in this passage and others) not to adopt the pagan practices of their neighbors. How often things can seem harmless because everyone else is involved in them.

I’m impressed with the Greek woman who persists with Jesus for the healing of her daughter. For a woman to approach Jesus in that time was one hurdle. And, the fact that she is a Gentile. Jesus’ words and interaction with the woman seem harsh in Mark’s account. But, when you read Matthew’s account (15:21-28) it becomes clear that the disciples are present and I believe Jesus is using this as a teaching experience – more for their benefit than the woman’s.

Application

I’m struck today with the idea of “persistence.” I’m persistent with God for my own needs, but how dedicated am I when it comes to the needs of others? This woman took a lot of risk to come to Jesus. How much risk do I face or open myself to? How determined am I to seek and find Jesus and the healing and wholeness which He offers?

Prayer

“Lord, grant me strength to persist – in trials, in prayer, in difficult relationships, in the ongoing battle against temptation and sin. Thank you for the victory which is mine in Jesus.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home