Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 4, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Chronicles 35:1-36:23; 1 Corinthians 1:1-17; Psalm 27:1-6; Proverbs 20:20-21

Observation

I’m puzzled by the events surrounding Josiah’s death. Josiah has just finished leading the Israelites in a renewed celebration of Passover
and then God allows him to be killed by Neco king of Egypt. Neco claims to have been commissioned by God, and he warns Josiah not to interfere (presumably with God’s judgment through Neco against the people at Carchemish on the Euphrates.) I guess this is just an example of Josiah getting involved in a battle that wasn’t his business – a case of misplaced zeal, and misdirected energy.

In 1 Corinthians 1:17 the Apostle Paul warns against emptying the cross of Christ of its power by muddying our message with human wisdom rather than the wisdom of God.

Application

One practical way that I can “gaze upon the beauty of the Lord” is by spending time in His Word to discover more of who He is.

My lesson from Josiah is to keep focused upon what God has for me and not to get swept-up by diversions or distractions.

Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 1:17 are a challenge to me to preach God’s Word and not use the pulpit or my title to further my own personal opinions, agendas, or biases.

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for the glimpses of Your beauty which shine through the pages of Your Word.”

2 Comments:

At August 6, 2008 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Brooke said...

I was quite puzzled by this as well. Was Josiah really getting involved in other people's business or was he going against what Neco said because he claimed it was from God? It was funny this came up because I have talked to Brooke about naming our kid Josiah.

 
At August 6, 2008 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

I can't see any other reason why God would have allowed Josiah to die at Neco's hands - especially after he had just reinstituted the Passover, the reading of God's Law and led Israel in an unprecedented celebration.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home