Friday, August 1, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
August 1, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Chronicles 30:1-31:21; Romans 15:1-22; Psalm 25:1-15; Proverbs 20:13-15

Observation

What a wonderful thing it would be if we as a people would “set our heart(s) on seeking God – the Lord.” (2 Chron. 30:19)

I wonder what it looked like in 2 Chron. 30:27 when the “priests and Levites stood to bless the people.” Did they simply stand and pray for the people? Did they lay hands on them, one-by-one individually? Whatever the case it’s neat to see this dimension of shepherding going on.

I like Romans 15:1-2,

“We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his own good, to build him up.”

And also 15:4, 13,

“Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. …May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

Finally, I love David’s request in Psalm 25:4-5,

“Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long.”

A few verses later in 25:14 comes the compliment,

“The Lord confides in those who fear Him; He makes His covenant known to them.”

Application

Hope is hard to come by now days. Romans 15 tells us that hope comes from Scripture. What a call to spend more time in God’s Word! I could certainly use more “joy and peace as I trust in Him” also.

I want to obey God more and more. The promise that He will “confide” in me as I fear/obey Him is incredible motivation!

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for the hope that You give, the hope that comes from knowing You. Thank You that I can live with certainty and confidence as I trust in Your promises.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home