Friday, July 25, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 25, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Chronicles 14:1-16:14; Romans 9:1-21; Psalm 19:1-14; Proverbs 20:1

Observation

I’m beginning to think that there’s a connection between those who “did what was good and right in the eyes of the Lord” and those who whom the Lord gave peace and rest from their enemies (2 Chron. 14:2-6)

I love Asa’s prayer in 14:11,

“Lord, there is no one like You to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on You, and in Your name we have come against this vast army. O Lord, You are our God; do not let man prevail against You.”

Asa viewed an attack against God’s people as an attack against God. And, he acknowledged his powerlessness without God’s help.

2 Chron. 15:3-4 is interesting in light of the times in which we live,

“For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. But in their distress they turned to the Lord, the God of Israel, and sought Him, and He was found by them.”

This outcome sounds like the fruit of verse 7,

“But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”

Verses 12-13 crack me up,
“They (the Israelites) entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul. (Sounds good) All who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman.”

That’s certainly one way to increase commitment and buy-in. Maybe this is what the Church is missing today!

2 Chronicles 16:9 is encouraging,

“For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.”

The Truth Project was great in revealing the testimony of creation recorded in Psalm 19. As 19:3 says, “There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.” The testimony of creation to the existence of a loving Creator is universally understandable.

Finally, God’s Word revives our soul, is trustworthy, gives joy to our heart, and enlightenment to our eyes! “In keeping (God’s commands) there is great reward!” (Ps. 19:7-11)

Application

I underestimate the blessing of God which comes from living a godly life. I take so much for granted, and fail to make so many connections. As I see it – there is only an upside to living a righteous life. There is no liability beyond worldly persecution – which for most of us is minimal to non-existent.

Prayer

“Lord, forgive me for my hidden faults and keep me from willful sins. May sin not rule over me. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”
(Ps. 19:12-14)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home