Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 20, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Chronicles 1:1-3:17; Romans 6:1-23; Psalm 16:1-11; Proverbs 19:20-21

Observation

Solomon asked God for wisdom to rule God’s people, and God gave him not only wisdom but also wealth, riches and honor.

Romans 6:1 is powerful and simple. Grace does not give us license to sin more. “How can we who died to sin still live in it?” (6:2) Grace saves us from God’s punishment of sin. But, sin also has its own destructive consequences apart from God’s judgment. If you stick your hand in the fire, you’re going to get burned. That’s not God’s judgment or punishment, that’s just the natural consequence of your action.

I especially like Paul’s admonition in 6:11-22,

“Count/consider yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. …Do not let sin reign over you that you should obey its evil desires. …You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, reaping holiness and eternal life.”

May I never forget Psalm 16:2,

“You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing.”

And 16:8,11:

“I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.”
Finally, Proverbs 19:21,

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

Application

Grace does not make me immune to the effects of sin. There’s a spiritual side of sin and a practical side (physical reality). Sin does not ultimately lead to my happiness and fulfillment. God (the manufacturer/designer) has told me that the car (my life) does not run on vinegar; in fact, it will ruin the engine. And yet, I keep trying, believing that my misguided efforts will somehow yield the first successful test case. This is what is referred to as “stupidity.”

Prayer

“Lord, save me from myself. Forgive me for my stubbornness in constantly insisting that I know better than You. Thank You for Your grace. Grant me the wisdom and strength to not abuse it.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home