Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
July 30, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Chronicles 26:1-28:27; Romans 13:1-14; Psalm 23:1-6; Proverbs 20:11

Observation

How nice it would be to have someone instruct you in the fear of the Lord as Zechariah did for Uzziah. God knew that U. needed it since he was only 16 and had the awesome responsibility of being king over Jerusalem. I was struck by the simple wisdom of 2 Chronicles 26:5, “As long as he sought the Lord, God gave him success.” This is a huge contrast to 26:16, “But after U. became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the Lord his God.”

Later, in 28:23, King Ahaz thought “since the gods of the kings of Aram have helped them, I will sacrifice to them so they will help me.” But, as the text says, “they were his downfall and the downfall of all Israel.” Seeking help from “gods” is an insult to the Living God, and a vain effort.

Romans 13 reminded me that all authority is ultimately established by God – even sinful leaders who I take issue with. Sometimes God uses them for our punishment and correction. And, Paul teaches that if I have a problem with the leaders, I really have a problem with God who allowed them to lead.

Finally, I really liked Romans 13:12, 14,

“So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. …Clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”

Application

Sometimes God provides mentors who instruct us in His ways. And, other times we need to proactively seek-out such mentors.

I long for success and fruitfulness and fulfillment. Today’s reading gives a simple game plan: “Seek the Lord and be faithful to Him.”

I need to clothe myself in Jesus daily – moment by moment – through His Word and through prayer. The less knowledge I have of evil, the less possibility and potential I have to be tempted.

Prayer

“Lord, wrap me in Your righteousness. Keep me innocent in evil and preoccupied with You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home