Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 26, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Kings 9:14-10:31; Acts 17:1-34; Psalm 144:1-15; Proverbs 17:27-28.

Observation

Jehu was one clever guy in ridding the land of idolatry – especially when he lured all the prophets of Baal into their own temple. But, why didn’t He follow God completely? We read verses like:

“So Jehu destroyed Baal worship in Israel. However, he did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam…” (2 Kings 10:28-29)

“Yet Jehu was not careful to keep the law of the Lord, the God of Israel, with all his heart.” (2 Kings 10:31)

Jehu went to so much work and effort to cleanse Israel of idols, why stop short? He had good motives. What happened?

I like the description of the Bereans in Acts 17:11, “…they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”

Finally, Acts 17:30 really stood out to me:

“In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent.”

Application

I’m confused by Jehu’s incomplete obedience. But, then I look at my own life and see all the areas in which I follow the Lord in one thing, and in another I do what I want. Doesn’t make any more sense.

The Bereans are a model for all of us. We should receive God’s Word with excitement and eagerness; and, examine everything we hear to make sure that it is Truth.

Finally, Acts 17:30 challenges me that I might have committed past sins in ignorance, but now God calls me to repentance and change.

Prayer

“Lord, thank You that in You I live and move and have my being.”
(Acts 17:28)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home