Sunday, June 22, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 22, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Kings 3:1-4:17; Acts 14:8-28; Psalm 140:1-13; Proverbs 17:22.

Observation

Elisha certainly wasn’t worried about being politically correct when he addressed the king of Israel: “If I did not have respect for the presence of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, I would not look at you or even notice you!” It’s nice to know that even men of God spoke their mind from time to time and expressed their true feelings.

I never knew what an “Elisha Room” was until I served at my first church: Calvary Baptist of Pasadena (2 Kings 4:8-10).

The Apostle Paul’s words to the Lycaonians in Acts 14:15 serve as timeless wisdom for all generations:

“We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them.”

Acts 14:22 caused me to reflect upon the need for Christian leaders who will strengthen other disciples by encouraging them to remain true to the faith. We forget, as Paul said, that “we must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God.”

Finally, I enjoyed the practical wisdom of Proverbs 17:22, “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”

Application

I have need to “turn from worthless things to the living God.” And, when put in those terms, it makes me wonder why I chase after “worthless things” rather than God Almighty. I guess it’s because sometimes “worthless things” just seem more tangible and appear to fill a “temporary” need or desire. I feel an ongoing battle between short-term gratification and long-term fulfillment. I know the choice I need to make. The problem is – it’s not a one time choice, but rather a daily, moment-by-moment choice.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to turn to You. Help me to make choices that honor You and which ultimately benefit me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home