Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 17, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

1 Kings 18:1-46; Acts 11:1-30; Psalm 135:1-21; Proverbs 17:12-13.

Observation

When Elijah orders the execution of the prophets of Baal in 1 Kings 18:40 I’m wondering who helped with this. Israelite bystanders who just happened to be there for the showdown? Or, perhaps was it the 400 prophets of Asherah mentioned in 1 Kings 18:19? And, if it was the prophets of Asherah then why were they not killed as well?

What a classic line in 18:24, “The god who answers by fire – He is God!”
Baal gave no response, no answer, and paid no attention (vs. 29). The God of heaven sent down fire which burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones, the soil, and also licked up the water around the trench of the altar!

The people’s response is priceless: “The Lord – He is God! The Lord – He is God!” (vs. 39)

I love the fact that Elijah not only requests of God to answer his prayer that the people might know the one true God, but also in praying this way puts everything on-the-line. There’s no saving face if God does not answer.

I like how Peter silences the criticism of the circumcised believers in Acts 11 by saying to them, “If God gave them (the uncircumcised gentiles) the same gift as he gave us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could oppose God?”

The text says in Acts 11:18 that when they heard this they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.”
Psalm 135:15-18 sums up the impotence of false gods made of silver and gold and the futility and vanity of those who worship them:

“The idols of the nations are but silver and gold, the work of man’s hands. 16 They have mouths, but they do not speak; they have eyes, but they do not see; 17 they have ears, but they do not hear, nor is there any breath at all in their mouths. 18 Those who make them will be like them, Yes, everyone who trusts in them.”

Application

I need to step out in faith more, believing that God will respond. I play it safe too much. If I believe that God will work a miracle and if I declare to others that He’s going to work a miracle, then as I said – there’s no saving face if He doesn’t answer of respond. I stop short of being outspoken in public because of my uncertainty as to whether I’m truly hearing God’s voice and because of my desire to not be embarrassed if things don’t work out like I had thought. I need boldness to get beyond my fear of the “what ifs.”

Prayer


“God, help me to be sensitive to and conscious of Your leading. When I sense Your Spirit prompting me help me to be faithful to follow-through with obedience.”

1 Comments:

At June 18, 2008 at 12:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 Peter 2:6
"For in Scripture it says:
See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be confounded, put to shame, embarrassed, dismayed."

Jesus is a restorer. He always made those He contacted feel better about themselves. Even an adulteress walked away with her sense of worth restored. Christ bore our embarrassment and humiliation. There is no need to save face. So since God is for us, who cares who is against us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home