Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 18, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

1 Kings 19:1-21; Acts 12:1-23; Psalm 136:1-26; Proverbs 17:14-15.

Observation

I have felt like Elijah before when he sat under the broom tree and told God, “I have had enough.” God responded by telling Elijah to get up and eat because the journey ahead was too much for him. Twice God told Elijah to “get up and eat.” Finally, strengthened by this food, Elijah traveled 40 days and 40 nights.

On more than one occasion Elijah felt like he was the only one left who loved God and was serving Him. But, God tells Elijah later on in 1 Kings 19:18, “I have reserved 7,000 in Israel whose knees have not bowed down to Baal, and whose mouths have not kissed him.”

All too often I miss the “gentle whisper” of God’s voice. I get caught up in the “wind,” and the “fire” and the “earthquake,” and miss God’s voice.

It’s neat that the church was earnestly praying for Peter’s release from jail in Acts 12. Yet, when he shows up at their door in verses 12-17 they can’t believe it’s him.

Acts 12:22-23 is a startling warning for those who steal worship and praise that is intended for God:

“…because Herod did not give praise to God, an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms and died.”

Finally, I thought Proverbs 17:14 was really cool and practical:

“Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.”

Application

We need the spiritual food of God’s Word to strengthen us for the journey ahead. I need to spend more time listening for the “gentle whisper” of God. The church in Acts is a great example of faithfulness in prayer but also a lesson in expecting great things when we pray. Lastly, I need to “drop” matters before disputes break out.

Prayer


“God, strengthen me daily through Your Word. Give me spiritual ears to hear Your voice. Give me the faith to pray for great things and to fully believe that You will answer. And, grant me the fortitude to absorb conflicts and to be a peacemaker.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home