Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 21, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

2 Kings 1:1-2:25; Acts 13:42-14:7; Psalm 139:1-24; Proverbs 17:19-21.

Observation

God’s rebuke to King Ahaziah through Elijah in 2 Kings 1:3 is convicting:

“Is there no God in Israel that you are going off to seek after other gods?”

How often we/I chase after every option but God – looking for answers in empty places. I don’t know why Ahaziah wastes 60 men and two captains to get Elijah to come and change God’s judgment upon him. When he finally succeeds in getting Elijah to come, Elijah merely conveys the same message his messengers reported to him before all the needless bloodshed.

By the way, how would you like to be the third captain and set of men to approach Elijah knowing that the previous groups/attempts were barbequed by fire from heaven? I would have at least changed my greeting with Elijah! The third captain’s wisdom, diplomacy and humility saved his own life and the life of his men.

I’m with Elisha (2:9) – I’d like to inherit a double-portion of Elijah’s spirit.

The closing verses of our OT reading are a good warning for any youth who tease their youth pastor or leaders – especially those who are follicly challenged!

In Acts 13 the teaching of Paul and Barnabas was powerful and fruitful. The reaction of the Jews, however, was pathetic. The Jewish leaders were filled with jealousy. They incited and stirred up persecution and trouble for Paul and Barney; and, they “poisoned the minds” of new Gentile converts. What a legacy of leadership to be proud of!

Psalm 139 is one of my favorite chapters of Scripture, and one which I never get tired of. God knows us “completely, intimately, wonderfully and fearfully.” How precious are His thoughts toward us (vs. 17).

Application

It doesn’t do any good trying to seek a different answer from God – especially when we have sown seeds of sinfulness and disobedience.

When ministry becomes a popularity contest, we know that we’re in the ministry for the wrong reasons.

Prayer

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home