Friday, June 20, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
June 20, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

1 Kings 22:1-53; Acts 13:16-41; Psalm 138:1-8; Proverbs 17:17-18.

Observation

Ahab puzzles me. As king of Israel, I would want the truth rather than flattery. Also, what good is it to inquire of God if you don’t follow the advice anyway? What good are prophets who just parrot back to you what you want to hear? Ahab says in 1 Kings 22:8, “I hate him (Micaiah the prophet) because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad.” This news should have been a reality check for Ahab that he was seriously out-of-step with God’s will and needed some major life adjustments.

Even though Ahab disguises himself later in the passage and goes to battle against Micaiah’s warning, a random arrow hits him between his armor and kills him. This is a perfect fulfillment of yesterday’s verse about our sin finding us. What are the chances of this happening apart from God’s divine sovereignty?

Verses 41-44 tell us that Jehoshaphat followed God and did not “stray from the eyes of the Lord; he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord.” But, he didn’t remove the high places committed to idol worship and his people continued to chase after deception and futility. What good is it as a leader to have your “stuff” together, but not take action to ensure that those following you also achieve victory?

Words spoken about King David in Acts 13:36 would make a wonderful epitaph for any Christian seeking to leave a legacy:

“He served God’s purpose in his own generation.”
I love the wording of Acts 13:39 because it is the essence of the Gospel:

“Through Him (Jesus) everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses.”

Finally, I’ve always liked the inspiration of Acts 13:41:

“Look, you scoffers, wonder and perish, for I am going to do something in your days that you would never believe, even if someone told you.”

Application

The fact that many times God’s Word(s) is contrary to what we want is confirmation that It is His Word and not our creation.

There’s no hiding from sin or God. We will be found and there will be consequences.

Jehoshaphat’s life serves as an example that pleasing God involves not just keeping our life pure before the Lord, but also not tolerating sin around us that provides opportunities for others to stumble.

Prayer

“Lord, forgive me for underestimating the work which You are doing all around me, which I am mostly blind to. Help me to accomplish Your purpose for me and my life in my generation.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home