Thursday, April 3, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 3, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 23:1-25:19; Luke 10:13-37; Psalm 75:1-10; Proverbs 12:12-14.

Observation

O.K. there was more gross stuff recorded in today’s OT reading than I even want to mention. How do I even begin to comment on things that I am too embarrassed to repeat?

I love the excitement of the 70 disciples when they return to report to the Lord the success of their God-appointed powers. I wonder if the image of Satan falling from heaven like lightning is figurative of the blow which the enemy is dealt every time Christians boldly use their gifts for God’s glory.

Luke 10:22 is a great proof text for the deity of Jesus, though often overlooked. No one truly knows the Father except the Son, and vice versa. When you consider the intimacy conveyed in the Bible’s use of the word “know” it becomes clear that an inseparable communion of deity is implied.

Application

I often wonder if Christians today (myself included) have miraculous powers which go unnoticed and unused from lack of faith and fear of embarrassment. I would love to tell a lame person to stand to their feet, or a blind person to throw away their walking stick – if I knew for sure that God was going to heal them; otherwise, the victims might potentially feel more condemnation and I might feel the embarrassment of empty claims and needlessly adding to someone’s pain. But, have I tried and failed? No. So, I guess my prayer is for boldness.

Prayer

“God, give me the courage to follow the leading of Your Spirit to work miracles and change things which You wish to be changed. May I not shrink back in fear or doubt when I sense Your prompting.”

2 Comments:

At April 3, 2008 at 10:30 PM , Blogger sillysally said...

I'm with you on that one! A little TMI. Although, it is pretty good proof that the Bible really does have the answers to all questions.
I really loved today's reading. It seems to show just how intimate God is with his people. (no pun intended) He cares about everything that his people had to deal with and seems to answer just about every situation that came up in their society at that time.
I love how Jesus interacts with the disciples in their joy and excitement. Today's reading seemed to indicate God's personal involvement in our daily lives.
Thank you for being so absolutely faithful in your blogs, Bob. It is awesome to see your love of Scripture played out daily.

 
At April 4, 2008 at 10:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly concur with sillysally. But I've also noticed that I seem to learn more about the Christian walk from what a pastor doesn't do than from what he actually does. It's an interesting perspective for me. The human and the God element all mixed together. Very kewl!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home