Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 26, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 5:1-6:25; Luke 7:11-35; Psalm 68:19-35; Proverbs 11:29-31.

Observation

I was struck in the OT reading today by the fact that sometimes God brings us places and provides things for us that we did not work for, or build, or earn – we are just the recipients of someone else’s labor. Ultimately, we are the beneficiaries of God’s goodness and blessing. And, once again we see God’s warning in the text,

“Then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.” (Deut. 6:12)

I am moved by the incident in Luke of the widow from Nain that Jesus’ “heart went out to her.” It’s interesting that Jesus touched the coffin since that was seen as totally unclean and strictly prohibited. I love His defiance of tradition and His power over death. Jesus wasn’t worried about becoming defiled, His heart was to heal and restore.

I like Jesus’ words to John the Baptist in Luke 7:22. I’ve always felt like these words would make a great ministry report: “So, tell us Pastor Bob, how your last month of ministry has gone?” “Well, I’ve given sight to the blind, helped the lame to walk, cured those with leprosy, helped the deaf to hear, I’ve raised a few dead people back to life and I’ve preached the good news to the poor. I’d say, all-in-all, it’s been a pretty routine month!”

Luke’s description of the Pharisees in 7:30 distills the essence of their blindness and problems:

“The Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God’s purpose for themselves…”

Finally, what a gem is hidden in the middle of our Proverbs passage today:

“He who wins souls is wise!”

How can I add to that?

Application

Often I forget to thank God for the blessings I enjoy – even just to acknowledge that the blessings come from Him in the first place and not me. I would like to follow Jesus’ example of not just feeling compassion or pity, but of also being moved to action.

Prayer

“God, may I not reject Your purpose for me – or even miss it from ignorance. Help me to win souls for You. That’s why I’m in the ministry. Please bless me (and others) with great success.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home