Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 19, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Numbers 28:16-29:40; Luke 3:23-38; Psalm 62:1-12; Proverbs 11:18-19.

Observation

All I can say about the OT reading today is that offering sacrifices sounded like a full-time job! I am so thankful once again for Christ’s once-and-for-all perfect sacrifice for my sins. I can’t even imagine trying to faithfully fulfill and carry out these daily sacrificial ordinances.

As for the Luke passage – genealogies are tough! But, I have to say that I heard a sermon at Hume Lake once in which the teacher spoke on what all the individual names in a particular genealogy meant and showed us how the names, the meaning of the names and the order of the names told a story – hidden to readers of English unfamiliar to the ancient languages. Makes me want to probe the text deeper; but, not tonight!

Suffice it to say that I love the way the genealogy begins and ends:

“He (Jesus) was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph… Adam, the son of God!” (Luke 3:23, 38) I don’t recall any other passage in Scripture which refers to Adam (or Eve) as the son/daughter of God. It’s an obvious truth, but it sounds so personal and royal. And, just think, “We are God’s sons and daughters through Christ! We’ve been added into the genealogy!”

I was struck the most by verse 1 of Psalm 62: “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.” Too many times I seek rest and refreshment in things other than God. What a reminder of where true rest and renewal comes from:

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My load is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Application

I certainly need to daily go to God for rest and refreshment. I can so easily forget that He has designed me to be dependent on Him so that I will come to Him and not rely upon my own resources or those of the world. For me, this involves taking more time to be quiet before the Lord – not one more thing to do, but rather quiet, unhurried time in His presence.

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for desiring to meet with me. Thank you for the opportunity to rest in Your presence – to find renewed strength and joy and peace in You. I love you. Thank You for the privilege of being Your son.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home