Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 6, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Numbers 6:1-7:89; Mark 12:38-13:13; Psalm 49:1-20; Proverbs 10:27-28.

Observation

I love the prayer of blessing which Aaron and his sons were to say to the Israelites as they blessed them:

“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)

A framed wrought-iron sign hangs in my office which has the first part of this verse. I t was given to me as a going-away present when I left Ventura Missionary Church. I love God’s comment about this blessing which follows: “So they (Aaron & his sons) will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.” (Num. 6:27) That word “put” has the idea of “depositing.” God’s name represents His person and character and the priests were to deposit it in the people. So, this was more than just a prayer of protection, covering and blessing. It’s a ministry of investing.

The rest of our passage in Numbers reads like the “12 days of Christmas” song: “On the first day of offering this tribe brought to Me…”


Application

The story of the widow who gave all that she had in Mark 12 convicts me every time I read it. Do I give God all that I have, all that I am – or, do I simply give to God a small portion of my abundance?

Prayer

“Lord, help me to surrender more and more to You. I want to grow in the area of giving. I know that I can’t out-give You. Help me to trust You to provide for my needs and the needs of my family as I give sacrificially to You.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home