Sunday, March 2, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 2, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 25:47-27:13; Mark 10:32-52; Psalm 45:1-17; Proverbs 10:22.

Observation

How simple and beautiful was God’s original plan: “I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people… You will no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high.” (Lev. 26:12-13) But, unfortunately God had to make a provision and lay out a consequence for the people if they did not follow Him. And, as God spells-out that plan in the verses that follow I was struck with the amazing patience of God. How many warnings and chances could God give His people?

“But if you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands, and if you reject My decrees… (26:14) If after all this you will not listen to me… (26:18) If you remain hostile toward me and refuse to listen to me… (26:21) If in spite of these things you do not accept my correction… (26:23) If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me…” (26:27) Who says there was no grace in the OT! Even after all this, God says, “But if they will confess their sins… I will remember My covenant… and I will remember the land.” (26:40-42)

In Mark 10 the disciples never cease to amaze me (unfortunately in bad ways!) Jesus describes his betrayal and arrest, the fact that He will be beaten, mocked, spit upon and killed… And James and John respond to this news by saying, “Teacher, can You do us a favor? We want to sit on Your left and right hand in glory.” Unbelievable! This reminds me of a few days ago when they were arguing as they journeyed over who was the greatest. Needless to say, this was not the kind of response Jesus expected and needed following His passionate disclosure of future events soon to be a reality in His life. How often I am so blinded with self interest and consumed with my plans that I miss the important details of not only the future, but also how God wants to use me in that future.

Application

In reading today’s OT passage I’m reminded of Romans 2:4, “It’s God’s kindness that leads us to repentance;” and, Paul’s words in Romans 6:1 that we are not to sin that grace might abound. All too often I abuse grace. I need to allow grace to be a loving reminder of where I need to be and the man I need to be rather than to use grace as license to sin without consequences. Every sin has a consequence. Every sin leaves a scar. Granted those sins are forgiven. But, all too often I deceive myself into thinking that sin has no consequence.

And, once again I am reminded of the necessity of putting God’s interests before my own.

Prayer

“God, thank You for Your grace. Thank You for second chances. May my walk and my faith be motivated by love for You and not fear of consequence. Help me to continually see the blessing of following Your plan rather than mine.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home