Thursday, February 28, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 28, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 22:17-23:44; Mark 9:30-10:12; Psalm 44:1-8; Proverbs 10:19.

Observation

I think it’s hilarious that Jesus asks the disciples what they were arguing about in Mark 9:33. And, how pathetic that they were arguing over who was the greatest instead of grasping that everything was about the kingdom and not about self-promotion. How often we think it’s all about us! How challenging and appropriate are Jesus’ words for each one of us:

“If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

And, later the disciples are bothered that someone (“not one of us” in their words) was casting out demons in Jesus’ name. Sounds like the disciples really had a “members only” mentality going on.

Finally, I love Psalm 44:6-8,

“I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise Your name forever.”

If we substitute our personal object(s) of security or confidence for the words: “bow” and “sword” it becomes more personal!

Application

My wife related a great Beth Moore quote the other day that ties in well with today’s passage. Beth said something along the lines of: “It’s a good humility check or check on whether your heart is in the right place if you get as excited about God doing great things in and through others as you would if He were to do those things in or through you.” Wow! That says it all. The disciples weren’t at this place, and many times I’m not either. What a good test of our heart and our motives.

I often say that my confidence and security and strength is in the Lord, and yet my life or my worries and struggles tell a different story. I would like to live out this truth as reality in my life.

Prayer

“God, thanks for all of the amazing things You are at work accomplishing. Help me to rejoice when others rejoice, and to truly share in the excitement of others when you do incredible things in their life or use them in mighty ways. Help me to be a servant and to aspire to Your definition of ‘greatness’ rather than the world’s.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home