Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
February 27, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 20:22-22:16; Mark 9:1-29; Psalm 43:1-5; Proverbs 10:18.

Observation

Many think that Jesus’ statement in Mark 9:1 refers to His transfiguration and I’m inclined to agree:

“And Jesus said to them, ‘I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.”

Mark 9:7 is pretty humorous because Peter is babbling on about building shelters for Jesus, Moses and Elijah and the text says that he is doing this because “he was so frightened he didn’t know what to say.” And, God sort of interrupts Peter and says, “This is My Son, whom I love. Listen to Him!”

The description of Jesus’ transfiguration in Mark 9:3 is exciting because it sounds very similar to the way He is described in Revelation:

“His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them.” I’m curious as to whether the people’s response to Jesus in Mark 9:15 was a result of the transfiguration: “As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him.” Or, maybe that was just the normal response people had when they knew they were in the presence of God.

I’ve always been impressed with the father’s response to Jesus in Mark 9:24, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.” What a genuine, desperate request – especially when it is on behalf of your son!

Jesus’ reply to the disciples in Mark 9:29 that some demons can only be cast out through prayer is interesting to me because it seems to teach that prayer is more than the pronouncement of “magical, spiritual words.” It is a spiritual battle, something that we agonize and persist in.

Application

I relate today to the father of the demon possessed boy. How often I approach God with an “if You can…” attitude. I do believe, but I need God to grow me in my faith and trust. I am also growing in my knowledge and experience of prayer. Prayer is not something that I rush through and then check off of my “to do list.” Prayer is one of the primary ways in which I meet God “face-to-face” and experience all that He has for me and all that He desires to say to me. If Jesus spent whole nights in prayer, how do I think that I can skimp by on less? And, looking at the power and success of His ministry, why would I want to deviate from the example He left for us?

Prayer

“Lord, would you meet me in prayer in such a powerful, tangible way that I would be drawn to it, to You, more and more. I desire to be a person of great faith. I long to see You do incredible things, in my life and in my ministry. God, I trust You completely and look forward to watching Your amazing plan and purpose unfold – and any part that I might play in that.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home