Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 1, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Leviticus 24:1-25:46; Mark 10:13-31; Psalm 44:9-26; Proverbs 10:20-21.

Observation

I’m fascinated by the year of Jubilee and the provisions for the poor. What a great concept (as if any of God’s ideas aren’t amazing!) Also, what a lesson for God’s people to trust in His sovereignty and provision for them as well.

I love the Mark passage in today’s reading. Jesus becomes “indignant” with the disciples for wanting to turn the children away. I guess the disciples viewed children as another “not one of us” subclass. But, I’m glad that Scripture includes this description of Jesus embracing and blessing children. This helps to “flesh-out” the Abba Father passage, and it gives us balance in our perspective of God. When Jesus says, “…the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, ‘whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it at all,” it reminds us of God’s accessibility and His heart. However educated we get, however wise (in our own eyes!)… We need to always come to God with the simplicity, honesty and purity of a child.

I’m intrigued by Proverbs 10:21a, “The lips of the righteous feed many...” Often, the lips of the righteous correct, rebuke, and sometimes judge; but we forget that our lips are to encourage, build up, and benefit others. What a great question for self-analysis: “Do my lips feed others?” Or, “Do my lips leave others malnourished?” Sometimes it’s not just even the negative, hurtful things that we say; it’s also the empty, meaningless things that come from our lips – that have no eternal benefit or fruit.

Application

I need to constantly be reminded of that picture of the children coming to Jesus. Sometimes I complicate my faith, and forget what it means to approach God like a child.

As one who gets paid to “feed others” with his lips, the Proverbs verse really struck a chord. Do my lips feed, or merely entertain? Do my lips feed, or self-promote? Do my lips feed with faith that translates to action? Or, do my lips just talk philosophically and theoretically? These are the kind of questions I need to be asking myself on a regular basis.

Prayer

“God, help my lips to benefit others, for my words to be Your words. Your words are the only words of value and eternal significance and consequence. Help my words to bear fruit and make a difference.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home