Saturday, March 8, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 8, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Numbers 10:1-11:23; Mark 14:1-21; Psalm 51:1-19; Proverbs 10:31-32.

Observation

I think if I had lived in OT times I would have failed to keep God’s commands merely from lack of memory to remember all of them. I can see myself sounding the trumpet and then calling out in panic, “Sorry! False alarm! We’re not being invaded or going off to battle – I was just blowing the trumpet to acknowledge the evening sacrifice! My bad. Sorry!”

It’s interesting how God says that He will “take of the Spirit who is upon Moses and will put Him upon them (the 70 elders)” in Numbers 11:17. God’s Spirit rested upon leaders for the purpose of ministry in the OT; He did not indwell people at this time (pre-Pentecost). That’s why, later in our reading, David prays in Psalm 51, “And take not Your Holy Spirit from me.” David was praying that God would not take his ministry away from him, his mantle of leadership and authority, following his sin with Bathsheba. These 70 elders in Numbers 11 were now going to share the leadership authority and responsibility with Moses over the Israelites.

I love God’s response to Moses when Moses asks God how in the world He is going to feed 2 million Jews in the desert with meat for 30 days:

“Is the Lord’s power limited? Now you will see whether My word will come true for you or not?” (Num. 11:23)

I’m also impressed by David’s wisdom to understand that when we sin, ultimately our sin is first and foremost against God:

“Against Thee, Thee only I have sinned, and done what is evil in Thy sight…” (Ps. 51:4)

Application

What a great reminder that God’s power is not limited to our faith of human understanding. I feel like God has this conversation with me a lot: “You watch and see whether My word comes true for you or not.” For me, it’s not just an issue of trusting in God’s ability, it’s also knowing His will. I believe God can heal anyone. But, when I go and pray over sick and dying people – I never know whether God will choose to heal them or not. That’s my struggle in limiting God’s power.

Prayer

“Lord, help me to never limit Your power, to take You at Your word. Help me to remember that when I sin it is against You. Thank You for Your perfect sacrifice. Thank You for Your grace.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home