Friday, March 14, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 14, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Numbers 21:1-22:20; Luke 1:26-56; Psalm 57:1-11; Proverbs 11:9-11.

Observation

How many times can the Israelites complain about leaving Egypt only to die in the wilderness? Apart from Moses and Aaron’s petitions to God on their behalf this grumbling would have been a self-fulfilling prophecy. The fiery serpents that God sent as punishment were evidence that God’s patience was spent. I love the tie-in with this story which the Apostle John gives us in John 3:14-15,

“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.”

I had forgotten that these two verses were the build-up to John 3:16! I can’t wait until we get to this passage in our Sunday AM study of John.

I’ve always liked Gabriel’s powerful response to Mary’s questions: “For nothing will be impossible with God.” (Luke 1:37)

Application

Reading the exhausting repetition of the Israelites’ complaints and lack of faith is kind of like catching a shocking reflection of myself in the mirror and being sickened by what I see! Thank you Lord for grace and growth in character. I need to constantly be reminded that nothing is too difficult for God. I have a tendency to unconsciously put limits on my perception of God’s ability.

Prayer

“Lord, thank You for Your miraculous power, and for Your desire and ability to transform the old into the new. Thank You for patience. Thank You for grace. Thank You for never giving up on me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home