Monday, March 24, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 24, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 2:1-3:29; Luke 6:12-38; Psalm 67:1-7; Proverbs 11:27.

Observation

I’m sure Israel hated every minute of the 40 year wandering, but the passage today says that they didn’t lack for anything along the way:

“For the Lord your God has blessed you in all that you have done; He has known your wanderings through this great wilderness. These forty years the Lord your God has been with you; you have not lacked a thing.”
Deuteronomy 2:7

What a testimony of God’s providence despite our sin.

I’m always challenged by the words in Luke 6:27-31:

“But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.”

I sometimes have a hard time finding that line between humility and standing my ground.

Finally, I love Proverbs 11:27:

“He who diligently seeks good seeks favor, but he who seeks evil, evil will come to him.”

That’s about as practical as it gets!

Application

I need to grow in humility and service to others. I need to look for more opportunities to selflessly minister to others.

Prayer

“God, help me to seek the good in everything because even though everything is not good, You are always up to something good.”

2 Comments:

At March 25, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: your comment about "finding that line between humility and standing my ground"... My great aunt (who lived to be 104) once said "God didn't create us to be doormats". Neither was Christ a doormat.

I respected her immensely. She was the only "authentic" Christian I grew up knowing.

 
At March 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

It's sure nice to have models who can live out that balance for us! I'm glad you had her. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home