Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 25, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 4:1-49; Luke 6:39-7:10; Psalm 68:1-18; Proverbs 11:28.

Observation

Moses’ words in Deut 4:9 are a great reminder of the importance of transferring our faith, especially within our own family:

“Only give heed to yourself and keep your soul diligently, so that you do not forget the things which your eyes have seen and they do not depart from your heart all the days of your life; but make them known to your sons and your grandsons.”

This passage reminds me of Psalm 78:3-7,

“That which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not conceal them from their children, but tell to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and His strength and His wondrous works that He has done. For He established a testimony in Jacob and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers that they should teach them to their children, that the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, that they may arise and tell them to their children, that they should put their confidence in God and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments.”

There’s a legacy worth leaving!

When the centurion’s friends came to Jesus and pleaded with Him, I expected Jesus to jump all over what they said:

“This man deserves to have You do this, because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” (Luke 7:4-5)
But, it becomes obvious that the second group of friends which the centurion sends do a better job representing him. These friends reveal the true humility of the centurion:

“Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you.” (Luke 7:6-7)

And so, Jesus praises the man for his great faith and grants his request.

Application

I don’t know of anything more important than passing on our faith to future generations, starting with our own children. If I don’t do anything else well – I want to get this right! I want to model the kind of faith described in our passage today – a faith that believes that God can do anything.

Prayer

“God, help me as I attempt to live-out my relationship with You. May it be something my children and others want for themselves. May I be faithful to pass the baton and not drop the ball.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home