Saturday, March 29, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
March 29, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 11:1-12:32; Luke 8:22-39; Psalm 70:1-5; Proverbs 12:4.

Observation

Deuteronomy 11:16 describes the daily struggle we all face,

“Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away and worship other gods and bow down to them.”

We live in an enticing culture and the gods that we worship are more subtle and inconspicuous than golden calves and Asherah poles – but just as deceptive and destructive.

I was struck by a few details in the story of the Gerasene demoniac which I don’t recall noticing in previous readings. First: “For a long time this man had not worn clothes…” (Luke 8:27) And, second, the mention that “the demons had driven him into a solitary place.” (8:29) The severity of his possession is obvious from his power to break free from chains and bonds. This guy was possessed by a lot of demons! He says his name is “Legion” for as he continues “we are many!” Talk about multiple personalities! It’s worth noting that a legion was a regiment of the Roman army, varying in number between three thousand and six thousand men. How painfully ironic that though outwardly he had the power to break free from any form of bondage, yet inwardly he had absolutely no power over the satanic bondage which tormented him and drove him to isolation. This last point screams out to me because I believe passionately after 20 years of ministry and counseling that driving people to isolation is one of Satan’ primary tactics in spiritual warfare.

Application

The things which entice also enslave! God is a jealous God and does not tolerate worship of anyone or anything other than Himself. I need to be on guard against the attack of the enemy. I need to be careful what I allow in my life and in my home.

Prayer

“God, would you protect me from people and things that have the power to lure me away from You. Would you give me the wisdom to stay away from people and places which would increase my vulnerability and opportunity to sin. Thank You that ‘greater is He who is in me than he that is in the world.”

4 Comments:

At March 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of two scriptures...

Mat. 4:10 - "... Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only." And, Rom. 14:13 - "... make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way."

I like Romans 14:13 best for some reason. ..invokes consideration and love for others I suppose.

 
At March 31, 2008 at 1:08 AM , Blogger Bob DuPar said...

Good reminders and good Scriptures! Thanks for your comments. They are always encouraging and insightful. It's fun discussing these daily readings.

 
At April 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

indeed, such deep discussion. lol. you are hilarious! thx for kind words.

new topic: terrific book on reflective leadership in ministry... validating and very insightful. entitled "as one with authority. author is jackson carroll.

 
At April 2, 2008 at 1:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing on the theme of reliance on God and not hindering anothers walk... I needed to finish my post first.. but my latest blog post is just part of what I'm reading about in Carroll's book. I invite your comments. Reflective leadership is a new term for me.
http://slippyschronicles.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home