Monday, April 14, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 14, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Joshua 9:3-10:43; Luke 16:19-17:10; Psalm 83:1-18; Proverbs 13:4.

Observation

You know something is going to turn out bad in the Bible when it is preceded by the phrase “but they did not inquire of the Lord,” as in the treaty that Israel made with the Gibeonites in Joshua 9:14.

God is certainly not lacking in creative ways to help us win battles and achieve victories as demonstrated in the conflict against the Amorite kings in which more people were killed by giant hailstones from heaven than by the swords of the Israelites! (Joshua 10:11) And, I am amazed that these were selective hailstones. How did they kill only the enemy and not Israelites? This must have been an unnerving experience for Israel as these things were falling all around them and killing everyone else.

I’m puzzled by the story of Lazarus and the rich man every time I read it. What theology do we draw from Jesus’ story? Are we just to read it on a simple level and not derive doctrines on heaven and hell from it? I’m not sure. And, commentators dance around the real issues!

Application

I certainly can grow in my practice of inquiring of the Lord before I do things. I also need to trust God more to win victories in my life through methods and means unknown to me. Too often I limit God to things visible, things understandable and things obvious to me. And, in so doing, I eliminate the supernatural.

Prayer

“God, You never cease to amaze me! Thank You for Your Word which continually raises the roof of my perceptions as to who You are and how You act. Thank You that You are not limited to my finite comprehension and understanding.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home