Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 13, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Joshua 7:16-9:2; Luke 16:1-18; Psalm 82:1-8; Proverbs 13:2-3.

Observation

The story of Achan and his family is a sad one to say the least. The consequences for his sin seem extreme. How many times have we disobeyed and sinned and not had to pay the kind of consequence? His sin is compounded by the fact that people lost their lives because of him. But, what a tragedy that his whole family had to share in paying the price for his sin. And, if Achan had only waited. The very next battle against Ai God told the Israelites that they could keep the plunder for themselves. (Joshua 8:2)

Luke 16:8 is humorous but true:

“The people of the world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than the people of the light.”

Being a Christian does not mean that we abandon common sense or even smart business principles, it just means that we do these things with integrity.

So often I am like the Pharisees in Luke 16:14 trying to justify myself in the eyes of men when God knows my heart. This becomes an issue and a problem as Luke points out when we value what men value rather than what God values.


Application

I know we are living in the NT era and age, but I am convicted in today’s reading that I am altogether too casual and complacent with the sin in my life. Paul says that we should not sin that grace might abound (Romans 6:1). I forget that sin has consequences.

I also need to take another look at my priorities and see if they match-up with what God values or what the world values.

Prayer

“God, thank You for your grace. May I not abuse it or treat it lightly.”

1 Comments:

At April 13, 2008 at 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, forgiveness carries with it obligations. It is not license to sin.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home