Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 12, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Joshua 5:1-7:15; Luke 15:1-32; Psalm 81:1-16; Proverbs 13:1.

Observation

The end of Joshua 7:12 really hit me today:

“I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction.”

How often we hold on to things and tolerated things that are destructive and harmful. We read about how God told the Israelites to destroy whole cities: men, women, children and livestock; and yet, we don’t catch the seriousness of God’s desire for us to be free from anything and everything that would entice us away from Him.

David wrote (today) in Psalm 81:13-14, “If my people would but listen to me, if Israel would follow my ways, how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes.”

Many of the trials in our life are self-inflicted and needless. When we know that there are areas of our life that need to be surrendered, and when God has convicted us about these areas, and yet we refuse to take action – how can we complain about the consequences? I am not saying that all suffering is the result of sin. I am talking about the sin issues in our life which we “play dumb” about and then act surprised when they reap negative outcomes.

Application

I am struck by the blatant language of Joshua 7:12 – “things devoted to destruction.” I would not consciously hold on to things like this. But, most of the time these things are inconspicuous. Anything that has the power and potential to lead me away from God could be labeled such. Most things are not bad in and of themselves, but the minute they start pulling me away from God is the minute I need to start taking serious action.

Prayer

“God, help me to seek Your face and to have no tolerance for things that lead me away from you.”

1 Comments:

At April 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And when we do fail are we not to remind ourselves that God is love and He longs to forgive those who will confess and truly repent?

For no one can say, “I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin”? Proverbs 20:9.

So, "[b]e kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32.

And God will "[sweep] away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you. Isaiah 44:22.

Blessings! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home