Sunday, April 6, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 6, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 29:1-30:20; Luke 11:37-12:7; Psalm 78:1-31; Proverbs 12:19-20.

Observation

Today’s reading was fantastic. I love how God says in Deuteronomy 30:11 that His commandments are “not too difficult for us, nor are they out of our reach.” God never asks us to do things that are unattainable – especially through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Deuteronomy 30:19-20 spoke to me as well:

“I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, by loving the Lord your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding fast to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days, that you may live in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.”

God encourages us to choose life. It is a choice! And, how do we choose life? We choose life by loving God, obeying His voice and by holding fast to Him. How beautiful! The text adds, “For this is your life…” Like don’t forget that you have no other life, you will not find life in anything else.

Psalm 78 is one of my favorite Psalms. I love to command to pass the baton of faith to the next generation “that they should put their confidence in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments.” (vs. 7) It reminds me of the old saying: “Christianity (faith) is only a generation away from extinction.” We have a responsibility to be faithful in transferring our faith.

Proverbs 12:20 is golden: “Counselors of peace have joy!” Not counselors who say what people want to hear. But, counselors who speak God’s Word and God’s wisdom to bring peace and healing in broken lives.

Application

May I be a counselor of peace. I am committed to actively look for ways to live-out my faith in a winsome way with my kids/family. I am a firm believer in the saying that “faith is better caught than taught.” I can talk until I’m blue in the face, but if I’m not living what I preach – there’s no fruit. Furthermore, I’m committed to choosing life everyday through loving God, obeying His voice and holding fast to Him.

Prayer

“God, thank You that You are the Good Shepherd of John 10 who holds tightly on to me – and that no one and no thing can snatch me out of Your grasp. Help me to never forget the source of my life and the means to this life.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home