Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 5, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 28:1-68; Luke 11:14-36; Psalm 77:1-20; Proverbs 12:18.

Observation

Proverbs 12:18 grabs me the most today:

“There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”

Careless, hurtful words are like the thrusts of a sword. Wow! That’s pretty graphic and straightforward. We underestimate the power of our words – for good and for bad. Critical words leave wounds and wounds take a long time to heal. But, the words of the wise bring healing. Words are never neutral. Words have consequences. Sometimes words can slip out of my mouth so quickly, so effortlessly, so thoughtlessly. It’s hard to trust words when they are not consistent or supported by a history of reliability.


Application

I need to choose my words carefully and wisely. I want my words to bring healing and encouragement.

Prayer

“God, help me to weigh my words – to realize the power of words. May I speak Your words and not the careless impulses of my emotions or selfish desires. Thank You for Your Word which guides my words.”

1 Comments:

At April 6, 2008 at 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am learning to just squash my flesh and "zip it" when I have strong emotions. Otherwise something indefensible is bound to fly out.

Proverbs 21:23 says he who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity.

I look forward to old age when I can say whatever I like and everyone will just chalk it up to senility. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home