Monday, April 7, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
April 7, 2008

Journal Entry


Scripture

Deuteronomy 31:1-32:27; Luke 12:8-34; Psalm 78:32-55; Proverbs 12:21-23.

Observation

Deuteronomy 32:4 just about says it all:

“He is a Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.”

The NT reading spoke to me the most today:

“…a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
Luke 12:15

“And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying. For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Luke 12:29-34

I love the balance in Jesus’ words here. Jesus is not condemning us for wanting or needing the same things that the world wants and needs. He is commanding us to not have these wants and needs be the driving force of our life. “Seek first God’s kingdom, and these things will be added to you!” And, I love the line “Your Father knows that you need these things.” It’s not the “things” as much as it is how we go about getting these things. And, what a statement: “Your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom!” Why settle for lesser things when we’ve been offered the kingdom?


Application

I need to pay more attention to “how” I go after things. Do I trust God to provide what I need? Or, do I seek to provide for myself? Do I really trust that God wants to bless me with good things? Or, do I secretly hold views of God as the Great denier of all things fun and materially oriented?

Prayer

“God, help Me to trust You for all things. I know You see my needs and You have the power to meet them. May I trust and rest in Your perfect timing.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home