Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
November 8, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezekiel 18:1-19:14; Hebrews 9:1-10; Psalm 106:32-48; Proverbs 27:10

Observation

“Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked?’ declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?”
Ezekiel 18:23

“Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!” Ezekiel 18:31-32

“This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper.” Hebrews 9:9

“Many times He delivered them, but they were bent on rebellion and they wasted away in their sin. But He took note of their distress when He heard their cry; for their sake He remembered His covenant and out of His great love He relented.” Psalm 106:43-45

Application

God takes no pleasure in punishing us. Rather, He desires our obedience so that He might bless us. I need to rid myself of sin and get a new heart and spirit. And yet, I can’t get a new heart and spirit without God’s help.

The old sacrificial system never fully dealt with sin. It covered it up temporarily, like sweeping something under a carpet. Yet, it never “cleared the conscience of the worshiper.” Our conscience always knew that the sin was still under the carpet. Only Jesus’ sacrificial death on the cross can clear my conscience of guilt forevermore.

Prayer

“Lord, help me not to be ‘bent on rebellion.’ Grant me Your heart and Your Spirit that I might be ‘bent’ on obedience.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home