Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
November 1, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Ezekiel 1:1-3:15; Hebrews 3:1-19; Psalm 104:1-23; Proverbs 26:24-26

Observation

“Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.”
Ezekiel 1:26-28

“…the house of Israel is not willing to listen to you because they are not willing to listen to Me, for the whole house of Israel is hardened and obstinate.” Ezekiel 3:7

“I came to the exiles who lived at Tel Abib near the Kebar River. And there, where they were living, I sat among them for seven days – overwhelmed.”
Ezekiel 3:15

“See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.”
Hebrews 3:12-13

Application

I wish I could keep the image of Ezekiel 1:26-28 burned in my mind in such a way that I would daily guard myself against the temptation to worship lesser things. Someday when I stand before God’s throne I’ll wonder how I ever found anything else beautiful, attractive, or enticing.

Ezekiel 3:7 is a good reminder that our failure to carry out the message of God’s servants is ultimately an act of disobedience against God Himself.

Ezekiel 3:15 underscores the reality that sometimes the awesomeness of what God reveals to us and teaches us, coupled with the enormity of the task that lies before us, leaves us feeling overwhelmed. In times like this sometimes we just need to rest and collect our thoughts as we prepare for the ministry ahead.

The only way which we guard ourselves against “a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God” is by daily responding to the conviction and challenge of God’s Word, and by daily encouraging one another to ‘stay the course.’

Prayer

“Lord, daily remind me of the glory to come, of Your beauty and awesomeness. May I be consumed with You. May I daily respond to You in obedience and love.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home