Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 26, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 49:23-50:46; Titus 1:1-16; Psalm 97:1-98:9; Proverbs 26:13-16

Observation

“An elder must live a blameless life. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered; he must not be a heavy drinker, violent, or dishonest with money. Rather, he must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must love what is good. He must live wisely and be just. He must live a devout and disciplined life.” Titus 1:7-8

“Everything is pure to those whose hearts are pure. But nothing is pure to those who are corrupt and unbelieving, because their minds and consciences are corrupted. Such people claim they know God, but they deny Him by the way they live. They are detestable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good.” Titus 1:15-16

Application

Beyond living a blameless life, an elder must love people, love what is good, live wisely, and be disciplined. Not one of us is perfect, but this list of characteristics is our standard. And, the point of living life in this way is not to draw attention to ourselves and say, “Hey, look at me! I’m next to perfect!” The goal of living in this manner is so that Christ might be more visible in us and through us – because there’s less of us that gets in the way.

Titus 1:16 teaches us that if our mind and actions always gravitate toward what is impure, corrupt and dishonorable, then although we might claim to know God, we deny Him by the way we live. Wow! There’s a heavy dose of practical and convicting truth! No matter what we claim or think, our actions tell the real story.

Prayer

“Lord, help my walk to match my talk. I want to honor You with my life. I want to enjoy the joy and fulfillment in life that You intended for me to experience. And, I want others to see You in my life.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home