Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 18, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 31:27-32:44; 1 Timothy 3:1-16; Psalm 88:1-18; Proverbs 25:20-22

Observation

“The time is coming,” declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying,‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” Jeremiah 31:31-34

“If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you.” Proverbs 25:21-22

Application

God has put His law in our minds and has written it upon our hearts through the Holy Spirit. Not only is God’s law internal rather than external, but we also have the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit to obey God’s law.

Proverbs 25:21-22 is quoted by Paul in Romans 12:20. Many times people interpret “heaping burning coals” on an enemy’s head as an act of revenge. But, in ancient times a person’s fire would go out and they would need to borrow some live coals to restart their fire. This was no easy task since burning coals were usually found only outside the city gates where perpetual fires would burn. People would transport the coals from these fires to their home by carrying them in baskets upon their head. Making that trip for a neighbor (not to mention an enemy) was seen as an extreme act of kindness.

I have to ask myself, “Have I gone the extra mile recently to show God’s kindness and love – especially to someone who may not be a friend?” I need to look for opportunities.

Prayer

“Lord, help me not to miss the opportunities You send my way each day to show others Your love. Help me to seize these moments and to respond as You would.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home