Friday, October 17, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 17, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 30:1-31:26; 1 Timothy 2:1-15; Psalm 87:1-7; Proverbs 25:18-19

Observation

“The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying, ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with lovingkindness.”
Jeremiah 31:3

“I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.” Jeremiah 31:13b

“I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.” Jeremiah 31:25

“…God our Savior…wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men…”
1 Timothy 2:3-6

Application

What a deal: the opportunity to trade our sorrow for comfort and joy and our mourning for gladness. God offers refreshment to the weary and satisfaction to the faint. Our search is over. Who else offers us a promise like this?

In my opinion, 1 Timothy 2:3-6 is a strong argument against a view of election in which God pre-selects some and rejects others. Paul teaches that God “wants all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth,” and that He “gave Himself as a ransom for all men.” Not everyone responds to this offer; but the offer is still available to all people nonetheless.

Prayer

“Lord, Thank You for loving me with an everlasting love, Your everlasting love. Thank You for continually, day-by-day ‘drawing’ me with Your lovingkindness.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home