Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pastor Bob DuPar
October 16, 2008

Journal Entry



Scripture

Jeremiah 28:1-29:32; 1 Timothy 1:1-20; Psalm 86:1-17; Proverbs 25:17

Observation

I frequently hear Jeremiah 29:11-13 quoted and claimed,

“For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

I never hear any mention of the previous verse (29:10),

“This is what the Lord says: ‘When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.”

My point? God’s blessings were preceded by 70 years of punishment and discipline.

“…instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion…” 1 Timothy 1:3-6

“But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life.” 1 Timothy 1:16
“Seldom set foot in your neighbor’s house – too much of you, and he will hate you.” Proverbs 25:17

Application

Sometimes we must endure the inevitable consequences of our sin before we can enjoy and experience God’s promised blessing. We need to remember that even God’s punishment is redemptive in nature. He uses everything to shape us and mold us into His image.

I thought Paul’s words in 1 Timothy 1:5 made a great philosophy of ministry statement for each one of us to live by:

“…the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”

Paul’s comment in 1 Timothy 1:16 made me realize that God’s “unlimited patience” in my life, through my sinfulness and shortcomings, can be sovereignly used to draw others to salvation.

The message of Proverbs 25:17 is straight forward & humorous:

“Don’t overstay your welcome!”

Prayer

“Lord, energize me and equip me to love from a pure heart, and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”

1 Comments:

At October 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...i have jeremiah 29:11 at the top of my blog! oh well... at least i only have 25 years left.

have u Nouwen's "The Inner Voice of Love"? it's a collection of passages from his personal journals when he thought he might die or loose his mind. light reading...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home